Posts for tag: dental crowns
Damaged teeth are embarrassing, but modern dentistry has state of the art technology to help you deal with this issue. Dr. Nicholas Papapetros, Dr. Leo Kharin or Dr. Jessica Ristuccia offer their patients dental crowns at their Bedford, MA, office to mask those unsightly teeth so you can have a beautiful smile.
A dental crown is made out of porcelain or ceramic. Unlike veneers, however, crowns don't just cover the front of your teeth. They fit over the unattractive, decayed or damaged portion of a tooth. Crowns can even be used to replace a missing tooth when one of your Bedford dentists places a dental bridge over your gums.
The Dental Crown Procedure:
There are three steps to getting your unsightly tooth crowned:
- Step 1: Your dentist will numb the area surrounding the tooth and begin preparing the tooth. This is done to reshape the tooth so it fits under the crown. If there isn't very much natural tooth structure to begin with, your dentist will use a filling material to build up whatever exists of the natural tooth.
- Step 2: A crown is designed at a laboratory using impressions taken of your teeth. The impressions are taken digitally or with the use of a putty-like material and are used as a guide so that laboratory technicians can mold a crown that'll fit perfectly over your tooth.
- Step 3: The permanent crown is cemented over the tooth using a specific type of cement or resin.
Advantages of Crowns:
Besides making your smile more aesthetically pleasing, crowns have other advantages:
- They're used to cover restorative procedures such as root canals and dental implants.
- They give your teeth reinforcement, therefore improving your bite and capability to chew.
- Crowns also support fillings that have been dislocated.
- Several crowns can be used if you have more than one tooth that needs to be covered.
Improve your dental care by brushing twice a day and flossing at least once before bed. In addition to maintaining a healthy oral regimen, make sure to visit your dentists twice a year for your bi-annual examination.
For more information on dental crowns or to schedule an appointment, contact your Bedford, MA, dentists, Drs. Nicholas Papapetros, Leo Kharin, and Jessica Ristuccia, by calling their office at (781) 275-7707.